Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Heavenly Father: Our Greatest Coach

While browsing Facebook this morning, I came across a wonderful video titled "Catching Kayla".

This story of a champion runner--shared in an E-60 sports Youtube video--is one of the most inspiring stories I've heard in a long while. Basically, this girl was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and was unable to feel her legs for quite some time. Through the use of medicine, she was able to feel her legs once again, but was no longer able to participate in contact sports. Giving up soccer, she decided to take up running.

She was by no means a fast runner to start, but through constant diligence and the help of a wonderful coach, Kayla got faster and faster. You can watch the full spotlight here:



For my purposes here, I want to focus on one aspect of the video: the finish line! When Kayla runs, the heat in her body signals the symptoms of MS, causing her to lose feeling in her legs while she continues running. She has to pace herself using the help of her coach calling advice out to her. She is not limited by the pain in her legs as she runs, simply because she cannot feel them. But, that is not what struck me so much about her story. Each time she runs, she pushes and gives it her all, so much so that as she crosses that finish line, she collapses into her coach's arms and he carries her away off the track to give her the help she so desperately needs.

As I watched her coach catch her after every race, I thought of another person who I know that stands with open arms to catch each one of His children: Heavenly Father, the God of each one of us.

I made this connection while watching this video, and it was something about THIS last scene, at the state championship, that really got me:



I love this part. I love the way that Kayla pushes and digs and gives it EVERYTHING she's got (throughout the race) and especially right at the end.

I love how you can hear the coach screaming encouragements (quite emphatically) as she comes towards the finish line.

And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what happens as she crosses that final finish line, collapsing once again into her coaches arms; the coach exclaims:

"I got you....You did it!....Beautiful!"

I have come to have a very personal relationship with my Heavenly Father throughout my life. I've prayed to Him daily, and have faith that He is listening. I trust that He is there watching over me and comforting me when I need it. I know that He loves me enough that He sent His only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to live a perfect life, to suffer and die for me so that I can live again in my Father's kingdom. Ultimately, I hope that I can live my life now in a way that will allow me to come back into His presence later.

I imagine that He, my Heavenly Father and greatest coach, will be there to catch me--both physically and spiritually--when I pass on at the end of this mortal life.

I imagine with eagerness that He will celebrate when I arrive, that my actions through the "race" of life will put me in good standing in His eyes.

I imagine that as I run towards that finish line, I will continue to give it my all, that I will not falter at the end, but will run straight and true, ever gazing into the arms of my Heavenly Father.

And, I imagine that He will be there at the end of it all to embrace me, and to tell me:

"I got you."

"You did it!"


"Beautiful!"




**To learn more about my faith, especially what I believe about a Heavenly Father who loves me and ALL of His children, please visit: www.lds.org. You may also want to read What Happens After We Die, to learn more.**



No comments:

Post a Comment