Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Baby Bumpdate: Sewing in my spare time

Despite the fact that I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes, my entire pregnancy has been nothing but smooth sailing. Through my first trimester, I didn't deal with any morning sickness or other typical pregnancy symptoms. The second trimester came and went, as I was busy with student teaching and lots of travel. And now, in my third and final trimester, I'm enjoying the anticipation that is awaiting the arrival of my little one: Wesley Hase Young.

Here's a bit about how I've been doing recently:

How far along am I? I'm currently 34 weeks and 6 days, so I'm just coming up on 35 weeks!

How much weight have I gained? 25 pounds

What food do I crave? Probably everything with sugar in it, but since my GD diagnosis I've been laying off the cake, ice cream, and pie! But, one thing that I can eat (and often crave) is peanut butter toast. Mmm!

How's Wesley doing developmentally? According to the last ultrasound (taken at 33 weeks), Wesley is already 5 1/2 lbs. They anticipate that at 40 weeks, Wesley will be a BIG BABY--coming in at 9 lbs 10 oz. Since I was 9 lb 14 oz, and Matthew was 9 lb 1 oz, that's not too out of the question.

How is my GD affecting Wesley? So far, the doctors aren't too worried about my gestational diabetes having a negative affect on Wesley. The widest part of his body right now is actually his head, which likely means that Wesley isn't gaining any unnecessary weight from my body's blood sugar levels. That's good news!

What have I been up to lately? Aside from buying baby clothes, setting up baby Wesley's room, and researching tons of pregnancy stuff, I have kept busy with a few little sewing projects on the side. It all came about because of our recent move from UT to CA. When Matthew and I were packing up our things, we threw away a lot of our old clothing that we no longer wear; one thing that we were going to toss was an old suit of Matthew's and a few unworn ties. But, we decided that up-cycling the old clothing might be a better way to use the fabric. Here are a few of the fun things I've been able to put together for baby Wesley using Matthew's old suit, an unworn tie, and some old khaki pants:

While I did have to make some minor adjustments to the patterns in order to make the following items of clothing in 4 month size, you can find the original patterns for these items at the links below:

Suit Vest: http://prudentbaby.com/2012/02/baby-kid/reversible-baby-vest-tutorial/ (12 mo size)
Tie: http://shwinandshwin.blogspot.com/2013/10/10-min-tie-with-free-pdf-pattern.html (little boy size)
Dress Pants: http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/baby-pants-baby-pattern.html (0-3 mo, 6-12 mo sizes)


Suit vest made from an old suit. The tie and pocket square are made from an old tie. 

Suit vest and pants made from an old suit. The tie and pocket square are made from an old tie.

Suit vest made from an old suit. The tie and pocket square are made from an old tie.

Dress pants made from old khaki pants; they still need a little hem before they are ready to be worn! 

Dress pants made from old khaki pants; I loved getting to add the little pocket detail on the back!

Hope things are going well with all of you! And, perhaps this post will inspire you to up-cycle. If you have any old clothing that you are looking to toss, think twice about whether the fabric could be remade into something else; I'd love to see what you come up with! 

Thanks for reading! 




No comments:

Post a Comment