Monday, July 21, 2014

#GDRecipes: Shepherd's Pie

#GDRecipes: Shepherd's Pie

Since being diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes (GD), I'm trying new recipes that are carb-friendly; and, the best part is that these recipes are even more tasty than what I used to eat! 

Here's the recipe and instructions for a delicious shepherd's pie! My husband and I used to eat this all the time, but now we're using fresher ingredients and making the mashed potatoes from scratch; the fresh ingredients make all the difference!
Step 1


Ingredients

  • 3 large potatoes
  • 3 large carrots
  • 3/4 cup broth
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 cups green beans
  • 1 lb. ground meat
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or cheddar are my favorites!)
Serves 6. 


Directions

Step 2
EARLY IN THE DAY
  1. Chop up potatoes and carrots and put into the crockpot. 
  2. Add 3/4 cup broth and s&p to taste. 
  3. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until vegetables are soft enough to mash up. 
LATER IN THE DAY
  1. Cook the ground meat in the bottom of a deep skillet. 
  2. Steam the green beans (in the microwave, or on the stove) and place the cooked beans on top of the cooked meat in the skillet. 
  3. Mash up the carrots/potatoes in the crockpot. 
  4. Spread out the mashed vegetables on top of the meat and green beans. 
  5. Top with cheese, letting it melt before serving. 
Step 3


Nutrition Facts

Of the entire recipe 
Calories: 2000 
Total Fat: 60g
Total Carbohydrate: 235g
Protein: 111g
Fiber: 38g

Per Serving Size (1/6 of the pie)
Calories: 333
Total Fat: 10g
Total Carbohydrate: 40g
Protein: 18.5g
Fiber: 6g

Step 4

Watch out for more #GDRecipes in the future! I'm going to continue to record my food successes here, not only for those looking for GD-friendly recipes but also for those who want to try healthy (and delicious) alternatives to processed foods!

And, if you have any ideas for carb-friendly entrees, I'd love to hear about them. I'm starting to become less creative with my menu planning, so I really would appreciate some new recipes.





Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment