Thursday, August 14, 2014

#GDRecipes: Crockpot Split Pea Soup

#GDRecipes: Split Pea Soup

Since being diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes (GD), I'm trying new recipes that are filling and flavorful, AND that fit within my cap for mealtime carbs. I'm allowed 45 g of carbs for dinner and I felt that this soup really hit the spot and filled me right up for just 15g of carbs! You can serve it with a green salad and freshly cut cantaloupe on the side, or perhaps a fresh relish tray with sliced bread; there are so many options when you have a budget of 45g carbs for consumption at dinnertime! 

Here's the recipe and instructions for a tasty split pea soup, found via the Whole Foods Market website! (I halved the recipe from the original because my husband and I didn't need as much soup as the whole recipe makes; thus, the recipe below serves only 4 people).



Ingredients

  • 8 oz (1 cup) dried green split peas (I purchased these from the bulk section at Sprouts, and it only cost me about 60¢)
  • 1 cup diced ham (I used pre-cooked turkey ham, but you could also use ham hocks or a meaty ham bone)
  • 1/2 cup sliced carrots
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1-2 ribs of celery, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf, whole
  • 1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley, or 2 tsp dried parsley
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • cheese (to top completed soup)
Serves 4.




Directions



  1. Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given, adding the broth last. Do not stir ingredients. 
  2. Cover and cook on high 4—5 hours or on low 8—10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off the bone (if applicable).
  3. Remove the whole bay leaf from the contents and throw out. 
  4. Stir remaining contents of the soup, serve with cheese on top, and ENJOY! 


Nutrition Facts

Of the entire recipe (4 servings)
Calories: 586
Total Fat: 7g
Total Carbohydrate: 62g
Protein: 40.5g
Fiber: 20.5g

Per Serving Size (about 1½ cups soup, or a fourth of the entire recipe)
Calories: 146.5
Total Fat: 1.75g 
Total Carbohydrate: 15.5g
Protein: 10g
Fiber: 5g


My pregnancy with Gestational Diabetes is quickly coming to a close, so I'll probably be taking a break from my #GDRecipes posts. But, I'm going to continue to record my food successes here; perhaps (as a new mom) I'll find some great, quick, and easy crock pot recipes and freezer meals that I'll share here!

So, if you have any great, new-mommy recipes up your sleeve, be sure to share them with me so I can test them out; I'm gonna need all the help I can get over these next 18 years. :)


Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment