Friday, August 8, 2014

Baby Bumpdate: Second-Hand Sewing

Everyday, I turn on my desktop computer and it pulls up a countdown for Wesley's due date; today it says 5 DAYS! That's pretty insane because it just seems that time has flown by. Yes, I know that most first babies don't come on their exact due date, but my doctor said she doesn't want me going too far over my due date (because they anticipate Wesley will be pretty big!). So, I basically have between 5 and 13 days before I will definitely be induced for labor!

Other than that, here's a bit more about how I've been doing recently:

How far along am I? I'm currently 39 weeks and 2 days. The due date is just around the corner now!

How much weight have I gained? 34 pounds

What food do I crave? Pears. They have been on sale lately at Sprouts Market, plus they are really tasty and juicy during this time of the year!

How's Wesley doing developmentally? As far as we know, he's still a big baby but he is completely on track developmentally. At the last ultrasound, we even got to watch him as he practiced breathing.

How is my GD affecting Wesley? My blood sugar levels are completely managed, so I've been given the thumbs up from my nutritionist--Wesley shouldn't be negatively affected by my GD diagnosis after all.

What have I been up to lately? Besides just patiently waiting, I've tried to keep busy with a few more craft projects. The biggest of those projects was a quilt I wanted to make for Wesley. It's not necessarily a "baby" blanket--in fact it's very large--so it will most likely be used for when he gets older. But, while I had the time during this pregnancy I decided to put it together!



It all started with a request from Matthew: he remembers having a large blanket in his childhood and wanted Wesley to have one of his own, too. While my mother already made Baby Wesley an AMAZING baby blanket (check it out HERE, it really is awesome!), I decided to design a 5 foot, square quilt for him to grow into over the years.

I bought all the fabric for the quilt at Savers, a second-hand store, for only $15--that means that the quilt is made up entirely of repurposed pillow cases and a duvet cover. Then, I purchased a thin quilting batting on sale at Michaels for only $7. A couple spools of thread later, and the total cost of the quilt was only $32! I was pretty happy that it didn't cost too much in materials.


But, what I didn't spend in money, I definitely spent in TIME! I cut out and sewed together 162 triangles to make the quilt front. Then, I put everything together using a top stitch (stitching "in the ditch")--that was another 36 straight seams! After all of that, I sewed on the green trim by hand and....VOILA! The quilt was done!


I'm happy that Wesley will have this momentum to use throughout his life. Hopefully this can become a tradition for any future kids I might have, as well.


Thanks for reading! 






No comments:

Post a Comment